The following guide should give you a brief summary of important aspects related the JoomFish 2.5 installation. Please read this guide carefully as there are some aspects that might be relevant for you.
- Of course JoomFish 2.5 does only work with Joomla 2.5.x (as Joomla 3.0 changes again some of the underlying tables we can't gurantee that the extension is working right now. But we will work on that)
- PHP 5.2 (ideally 5.3 or 5.4)
- mysqli driver (not mysql, note the ending i)
just go to Joomla 2.5 Global Configuration —> Server —> Database Settings and be sure that the database Type is Mysqli
- The Joomla multilingual system present in the core is not compatible with translations made using JoomFish. This means you must either use JoomFish to translate your contents or you must use the core Joomla way to create a multi-lingual website. If you choose to use JoomFish you have to make sure to disable the core Joomla Language Switcher module (Backend > Extensions > Module Manager > select the modules "Language Switcher" and unpublish them) and disable the Language filter and Language code system plugins (Backend > Extensions > Plug-in Manager > select the plugins "System - Language Code" and "System - Language Filter" and unpublish them).
Test environment (and settings in case of problems)
- Set Error reporting to Maximum in the Global Configuration (Backend > Site > Global Configuration > Server > Error Reporting = Maximum).
- Set Debug System to Yes in the Global Configuration (Backend > Site > Global Configuration > System > Debug System = Yes).
- Download the latest JoomFish 2.5 package from our download pages. For club members check out the intermediate builds that give you additional updates
- Use the ZIP archive with your Joomla extension manager
The package includes the core component as well some additional plugins all these will be installed automatically and are available for your afterwards
- Download additional language packs for the backend if needed
Enable JoomFish language selector
Check whether the frontend JoomFish language selector module (Backend > Extensions > Module Manager > "JoomFish language selector") is published, assigned to relevant pages and published on a position that appears in your template.
- Status = Published
- Choose a position, e.g. "position-6" on Joomla's default template Beez
- Assign the module, e.g. "On all pages" (or at least a selection)
Check the Content Languages
Check the Content Languages (Backend > Components > JoomFish > Content Languages): only active languages are shown in the frontend. Make sure each language has an Internal Title and a Native Title.
Check/disable core Joomla multilingual system
Disable the core Joomla Language Switcher module and the Language filter and Language code system plugins. The core Joomla multilingual system is not compatible with Joomfish translations so you must decide which system you will use on the site. See pre-requisite nr. 4.
Check Joomfish system plugins ordering numbers
The Joomfish system plugins need to come before all other system plugins and their ordering numbers must be: 1 - "Joomfish - Basic Router", 2 - "Joomfish - Database Abstraction Layer", 3 - "Joomfish - Core overrides". All other system plugins need to have ordering numbers higher than 3. Find your system plugins here: Backend > Extensions > Plug-in Manager > Dropdownbox: - Select Type - = system.
Add languages after installation of JoomFish
When you install a new language after you have installed JoomFish the language automatically shows up in the Content Languages screen (Backend > Components > JoomFish > Content Language). You may want to change the Internal title (title of the language used in JoomFish' backend) and the Native Title (title used in the language selection module in the frontend). The language is only shown in the frontend language selection module if it is set to active (check the box and save).
A re-installation of JoomFish is not needed for any upgrade or other activity. If you are going to do this please uninstall the core extension (JoomFish component). This will uninstall all additional extensions as well. All Database entries are kept, only the JoomFish files (component, module and plugins) are removed.
In case of an issue with the un-installation please ensure all files as well as the database entries within the extension table are removed before you install a new version of JoomFish.