[Club]possible to choose source language in JF 2.0?

A public wish list to discuss topics, features and so on for Joom!Fish 2.0
Forum rules
Forum is locked as Joom!Fish 2.0 is feature complete. To post new feature request, please use the 2.1 Forum.

[Club]possible to choose source language in JF 2.0?

Postby jurabein on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:14 pm

Hello Joom!Fishlers,

I'm new at this so please bear with me if my terminology is not quite accurate!

JF is working great for us on a site with English as the default language and French and German translations as long as the source language of the material is English. I've noticed, though, going through posts that others are coming up against the same difficulty that I am, namely what to do with content that exists *only* in a "translated" language (for my example in French or German) and not the default/original language (English), and wanting that article only to appear when its specific language is selected.

My impression from my forum reading is that it is cumbersome (impossible?) to work around this with JF 1.8.x. I was wondering if JF 2.0 has/will have a function that allows you to choose the source language and subsequently to display it or not based on the language selected? (I think I remember seeing somewhere that Joomla 1.5 allows for language tags?) We're debating a migration and this would be a deciding factor.

Thanks! Really appreciate all your work with Joom!Fish!!
jurabein
Newbee

Re: possible to choose source language in JF 2.0?

Postby alex on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:54 pm

It is possible but more a organizational issue.

How do you like to define that you have something in one language, but not in the other?

You can either duplicate all entries and the remove those you don't like or you create two different structures (e.g. menus).

Have you seen the how-to about using different menu structures with Joom!Fish (see documentation).

Alex
JoomFish core team member
Think Network GmbH - strategic consulting and internet services

You need more Joomla Support? May be Open Source Support Desk can help you!
alex
Core Member

Re: possible to choose source language in JF 2.0?

Postby jurabein on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:17 pm

Alex,

Thanks for your reply...

You can either duplicate all entries and the remove those you don't like or you create two different structures (e.g. menus).

...but I am still very confused as I try and work out what this means in practical terms.

Taking some of the material for my site (default language English) as an example: we have a pamphlet series with texts in E, F & G but not all pamphlets have been translated into all three languages. At the moment I have the basic structure Section : Resources, Category: Pamphlet series, Content Items: Pamphlets (there are other Categories of resources as well). There's a Menu Item "Resources" in the topmenu in List Content Section format.

Pamphlets A & B exist in all three languages so that's not a problem but pamphlet C is only in French and pamphlet D only in German. How do I, going step by step in the back end, (re-)organise my content and/or menu structure so that, for example, a German visitor sees pamphlets A, B & D but an English visitor only pamphlets A & B?

What do you mean by "duplicate entries and remove those you don't like": what exactly would I duplicate and what would I remove?? Sorry if this seems obvious but I am still trying to get my head around Joomla! & JF and find this all very confusing. Thanks for your patience.

trm

PS: I've checked out the language dependent menus item. Again, the problem is that all this is very new for me and though I can sense the possibilities I don't have the know-how to implement the solutions as they are presented; the article just assumes more background knowledge than I have as a newbie. This is why I was asking if there would be a more straightforward solution with Joomla! 1.5 & JF 2.x, in which case we would wait for the JF stable release and have a go at building our site on that basis.
jurabein
Newbee

Return to Wish list