[invest. 2.1] Direct translation during article creation

Hi this forum is closed as we do have a new feedback and suggestion system on http://feedback.joomfish.net - the forum includes all references to all suggestions. May be you can help us with migrating the threads to the new service.
Forum rules
Hi this forum is closed as we do have a new feedback and suggestion system on http://feedback.joomfish.net - the forum includes all references to all suggestions. May be you can help us with migrating the threads to the new service.

[invest. 2.1] Direct translation during article creation

Postby prezzz on Sun May 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Hello,

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone mentioning it before, but even though I tried, I couldn't find it, so decided to ask by myself. Would it be possible to integrate Joom!Fish with the original article translation/editing screen so the user could add the content in both languages on one screen?

For example: first goes the original editing window (with all the icons and drop down menus for date, author, etc), then goes the separator, then goes the 'copy' button, then goes the secondary editing window. Once you click the 'copy' button, the entire content of upper window gets copied to lower and you can translate it (or without using the 'copy' button if you wish).

Is it possible at all without some nasty Joomla core hacks?

Best Regards,
Prez
prezzz
Newbee

Re: Direct translation during article creation

Postby ivo.apostolov on Sun May 18, 2008 7:23 pm

Well, article management from the frontend is more or less always related to core hacks.
ivo.apostolov
Contributor

Postby ikeizer on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:21 pm

It would be a very useful option, I'd like to second that.
ikeizer
Donor

Postby alex on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi,

I'm a bit confused. Are you referring to the backend or frontend of Joomla!?

We have a additional icon that is integrated in the backend which automatically guides you to the translation of your content. The process looks a bit like:

1. Write your article
2. Save the article
3. Select the article in the overview table
4. Select the language in the Joom!Fish Admin module and hit "translate"

From there you are automatically directed to the Joom!Fish translation dialog and can go on with copying your original to your translation if you like.

Is this what you are looking for?

Alex
JoomFish core team member
Think Network GmbH - strategic consulting and internet services

You need more Joomla Support? May be Open Source Support Desk can help you!
alex
Core Member

Postby ivo.apostolov on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:18 pm

I think it is more related to the frontend.
ivo.apostolov
Contributor

Postby ikeizer on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:36 pm

It is not related to front- or backend, but rather to creation of articles in general. The way I see it;

Suppose we've got a site with 3 languages. At this stage, you'd have to create an article in the way you described, go to Joomfish, translate, save, go to joomfish again, translate again, save, go to joomfish, translate & save. Now the article is present in all 3 languages.

It would be far easier if Joomfish would offer the option to translate when adding an article. Thus, you'd essentially have 3 input fields as described above and you could create the article in one step, instead of 4 back-and-forth steps. The problem is Joomfish appears to confuse a lot of people; some of my clients simply find the process to complicated now.
ikeizer
Donor

Postby alex on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:09 pm

What you have in mind sounds a bit like a translation workflow, right?

We could implement this in the frontend translation extension we offer for the Joom!Fish. This special frontend editing extension offers already a kind of workflow as you can assign users to certain languages as translator. They work purely in the frontend. We could implement a mode that is kind a multilingual submission system for content. You add not only one article but also it's translation into the languages you are allowed at once.

If this is would help you?

Alex
JoomFish core team member
Think Network GmbH - strategic consulting and internet services

You need more Joomla Support? May be Open Source Support Desk can help you!
alex
Core Member

Return to Wish List 2.x