[Under review21] Idea: Table based (excell like) editing.

Hi this forum is closed as we do have a new feedback and suggestion system on http://feedback.joomfish.net - the forum includes all references to all suggestions. May be you can help us with migrating the threads to the new service.
Forum rules
Hi this forum is closed as we do have a new feedback and suggestion system on http://feedback.joomfish.net - the forum includes all references to all suggestions. May be you can help us with migrating the threads to the new service.

[Under review21] Idea: Table based (excell like) editing.

Postby wanhafizi on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:54 am

Hi there,

My idea is to have MS Excell like table to enable simpler editing with multiple language and probably multiple contents at the same time.

This is an over simplification of what I'm trying to bring to you. I'm sorry, I don't know if I can create a table in this forum :cry:. So I've attached a picture instead;

joomfish.GIF
Excell-like editing
joomfish.GIF (8.76 KiB) Viewed 2712 times

Hopefully, it is easy to understand. Any comments?

TQ
wanhafizi
Newbee

Re: Idea: Table based (excell like) editing.

Postby Geraint on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Initial reactions:
  • I think you would need a 40inch monitor to make this workable even more if you have 12 languages.
  • Also how many translators can translate into Russian and Chinese?
Joomfish club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom Joomfish addons and benefits.

Join the Joomfish club today!
Geraint
Contributor

Re: [invest.] Idea: Table based (excell like) editing.

Postby alex on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi,

I think this is a bit similar as "[invest.] Direct translation during article creation" viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1153 , isn't it?

I know these kind of translations from Typo and some people find this kinda helpful. I'm wondering if it is really that helpful as Geraint already explained.

But may be in combination with the frontend translation process where you can limit the languages of a user to a smaller set it might make sense?

Alex
JoomFish core team member
Think Network GmbH - strategic consulting and internet services

You need more Joomla Support? May be Open Source Support Desk can help you!
alex
Core Member

Re: Idea: Table based (excell like) editing.

Postby wanhafizi on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:49 am

Geraint wrote:Initial reactions:
  • I think you would need a 40inch monitor to make this workable even more if you have 12 languages.
  • Also how many translators can translate into Russian and Chinese?

Haha, that was just a sample.

Hmm... thankyou for noticing the space problem. you're right.

But i think if one can put a "next language" button on the top, users will find it easier to navigate and compare between different languages for the same content, and probably reducing the clicking needed.

What the title "INVEST" means, anyway?

*Oh, i've just seen another idea in the wishlist "Language Switcher in the frontend-editing-form", http://www.joomfish.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=954. It spoke of the same idea, which is an ease to change between languages in the same content, only that for me, the language change button does'nt have to be inside the editor.

Which means, 3 persons came up with the same thing.

TQ
wanhafizi
Newbee

Postby Geraint on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:21 am

Gold members can already download a beta version of a full frontend translation solution that allows you to switch the target language for translation and the source language!

Geraint
Joomfish club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom Joomfish addons and benefits.

Join the Joomfish club today!
Geraint
Contributor

Postby alex on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi,

I changed the title to "invest." = "under investigation" as a note for us that we have a closer look on this topic.

Alex
JoomFish core team member
Think Network GmbH - strategic consulting and internet services

You need more Joomla Support? May be Open Source Support Desk can help you!
alex
Core Member

Postby wanhafizi on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:30 am

Geraint wrote:Gold members can already download a beta version of a full frontend translation solution that allows you to switch the target language for translation and the source language!

Geraint

alex wrote:Hi,

I changed the title to "invest." = "under investigation" as a note for us that we have a closer look on this topic.

Alex

Thank you guys, you are the best!
wanhafizi
Newbee

Return to Wish List 2.x