Translations are not saved

This forum provides support and discussion about the 2.1 release of Joom!Fish only. Please be aware that JoomFish 2.1 is no longer the latest, public release of JoomFish. Consider upgrading to 2.2 if you find any particular issue.
Forum rules
Please visit the Documentation section first. Especially take a look at the Installation issues and the FAQ document.

Before posting, don't forget to search the forums.

If you still have issues, start a topic and include as much information as possible:

First of all, check if you are running the latest available version of Joomla! (1.5.23) and Joom!Fish (2.1.7). Posts for issues, where both systems are not updated, will be ignored.

We need the following at least (you can find this in your Joomla! backend under help > system info):

* PHP version (e.g. 5.2.5). Note: The support for PHP4 is discontinued.
* Joomla! version
* Joom!Fish version
* Web Server software (Apache or IIS with version number if possible)
* Server Operating system (e.g. Linux, Windows, Solaris, Darwin ...)
* Webserver to PHP interface (e.g. apache2handler, cgi-fcgi)
* Database version
* memory_limit from your phpinfo

Please enable error reporting and include any error messages in your posting.

Finally, please describe the steps required to recreate the problem and also please enable error reporting and give us any error messages generated.

Re: Translations are not saved

Postby Catfish on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Ok so here's how you do this. I am total dummy when it comes to handling phpmyadmin, so I'll go through it step by step.
Open PHPmyadmin
click on the database number on top/right
click the tab Mysql
in the box for the MySQL query, enter:

INSERT INTO `jos_jf_content` ( `id` , `language_id` , `reference_id` , `reference_table` , `reference_field` , `value` , `original_value` , `original_text` , `modified` , `modified_by` , `published` )
VALUES (
'', '6', '125', 'content', 'introtext', 'test123', NULL , '', NOW( ) , '64', '1'
);

where the value '6' is the language ID nr. (find it in your jos_languages table)
and '125' is the article ID of the problematic article

Click go - done! Your article should now show the sample text 'test123' as defined int the above query text, and you can replace it with the proper translation.

Now, since you will most probably have a lot of articles/translations having the same issue (like I do), you will need to run this for each article and each language ID. But there is a shortcut to get this done:

Open two tabs of phpmyadmin, both with the Mysql tab.
Then, in tab1, run this query:
SELECT * FROM `jos_jf_content` WHERE reference_field = 'introtext'
and in the other:
SELECT * FROM `jos_jf_content` WHERE reference_field = 'title'
Where it says "Show", enter 100000 rows, starting with row 0
Then click on show. It will take a while to generate the whole list.
Now Tab 1 shows you all existing 'introtext' databases
and
Tab 2 shows you all existing articles.
Check Tab 2 against Tab 1 to make a list of article IDs and language IDs which are missing the introtext database. You can choose to export both tables to Excel in order to compare them. Extract all sets of language ID and reference ID that exist in the Tab 2, but do not exist in Tab 1

Then, copy the above Mysql query:
INSERT INTO `jos_jf_content` ( `id` , `language_id` , `reference_id` , `reference_table` , `reference_field` , `value` , `original_value` , `original_text` , `modified` , `modified_by` , `published` )
VALUES (
'', '6', '125', 'content', 'introtext', 'test123', NULL , '', NOW( ) , '64', '1'
);

into a text file and create xxx sets of this query by copy/pasting the query text xxx times, then change the values for the missing article ID and language ID for each set as required.
Once you have this, you have a query which allows you to create all the missing databases in one go, by simply copying the whole text into the query box and sending it by clicking go. Done!

You might want to do this in batches, like going for one language first and doing the second language later. Check whether the articles work after batch 1.

To those of you who know phpmyadmin, please bear with me for writing this down like for a 6th grader. Like I said, I am a total dummy and needed this explained step by step. Since it seems that there are quite a few guys here with the same problem, I assume that at least some of them are in the same shoes...

Hope this helps you - it sure did for me.
Last edited by Catfish on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catfish
Newbee

Postby Catfish on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Oh and by the way, a word to the Joomfish developers/mods:
Could you please look into this to try and find out what could be the reason why Joomfish failed to create those tables?
Catfish
Newbee

Postby smurflalus on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Catfish,
it works !!! Big beer for your smart son ! Ok - for his father, too. :D He posted the solution here.
Don't hesitate to drop me a line if you come to EURO 2012 to Poland. Beer will be there for you. You're welcome :)
smurflalus
Newbee

Postby Catfish on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Glad my son could be of help - actually it was a huge problem for me as well, so I am VERY happy that this is done.

I have to note that the method comparing the two lists did not show all problematic pages for me, but if you simply write down the ID of original article that gives you problems, you can manually create a file with all data sets.
Catfish
Newbee

Postby noize on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:57 pm

This fix worked. Thnx!

Hoping for an update soon.
noize
Newbee

Postby Catfish on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm

don't count on it. looks like team Joomfish has turned its back to the idea of open source in a way and only supports you when they make money from you. Funny though that they don't see that if the free base product has flaws, they will not sell the paid extensions so much either.... You'd think that would be a no brainer, but ....
Catfish
Newbee

Postby janwin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Hey, I have installed the recently-released JoomFish 2.2.3 and was hoping that the "translations not saved"-oddity would disappear - it did not. :( Furthermore, I noticed that I can't translate sections ("Bereiche") anymore. There's not "translate to:"-Dropdown in the sections area of joomla anymore? I am depressed.
janwin
Newbee

Postby Catfish on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 pm

good to know - better to wait for next update?
Catfish
Newbee

Postby WINEMAN on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks for posting this.
This has been a pain in the ass for me as well.
Nice to know there's a hack for this when needed. :)
WINEMAN
Newbee

Postby markg on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:22 am

Same problem and also yet another bug:
As several other users, I can save translations on certain pages and then there are pages that refuse to be translated.
So far no help in sight....

But I also have the following problem to top this: After chosing an article to be translated the window opens but then I see an error message saying: 404 component not found

Has anybody else had this issue?

Greetings,
Mark

My setup is:
PHP 5.2.17
Joomla 1.5.25
Joomfish 2.1.7 (Dafad)
markg
Newbee

PreviousNext

Return to Joom!Fish 2.1.x Core Extension [deprecated]